5-a-day Pasta Recipe
Surely we don’t mean that one recipe provides 5 portions of fruit and veg? If so, it must be an enormous salad that my fussy eaters will turn their noses up at?!
Well what if we told you, this veggie powerhouse is undercover as a family favourite: Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce!
For the sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 carrots
- 1 leek
- 2 peppers
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp each sugar and balsamic vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Basil & Parmesan, to serve
- Carraig Rua Sourdough brushed with garlic butter, to serve
We suggest serving this with Drumanilra Organic Mince Meatballs! Or you can use our burgers and just reshape them into meatballs.
- First, let’s get chopping! You’ll need to finely chop all the veg and the garlic
- Add the oil, onion, celery, carrots and leek to a pan and cook until until soft, about 20 mins. Add the peppers and cook for 10 mins more, then tip in the tinned tomatoes, sugar and vinegar. Simmer for at least 20 mins – the longer the better.
- Cook your pasta or spaghetti according to pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, season and return to the heat to keep warm while the pasta and meatballs cook.
- Drain the pasta, toss through the sauce. You can’t go wrong with some parmesan on top.
- Enjoy your 5 a day pasta, safe in the knowledge that you’ve had your fill of nutrients and deliciousness!