Asian Smashed Cucumber Salad
- 3 whole cucumbers
- Big pinch of salt
- 3 cloves garlic, grated/minced
- 30g rice wine vinegar
- 15g sugar/honey
- 10g sesame oil
- 5g chilli oil (pinch of chili flakes/gochugaru instead if you don’t have chili oil)
- 20g light soy sauce
- Fresh coriander
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Spilt cucumbers lengthways into quarters, cut 3-5cm long, then bruise by hitting them with a rolling pin, back of knife or similar. Dress with salt, leave to drain some of the liquid out.
- Mix sugar/honey, vinegar, soy, sesame oil, garlic and chili oil in a bowl. Let it sit for 10+ minutes to mellow out the raw garlic.
- Toss cucumbers into the dressing right before serving, top with chopped coriander and sesame seeds.
Thank you to Diarmuid from our Honestly Strandhill Kitchen for this week’s seasonal cucumber salad recipe!